OK so maybe all of the exact drivers have not been determined yet, but the slots on the roster for the first ever Red Bull Drifting World Championship have been announced. The event will be held on November 15th and 16th in Long Beach, CA and will include 32 drivers from 12 different countries and all of the major drift series around the world. The top 16 drivers from this year's Formula D standings will be invited and obviously those drivers won't be determined for sure until after the close of the season. The same goes for the other series which will be sending their current champions to the event.
Here is the current list, starting with the Formula D Top 16 as of Rd. 5.
1. Sam Hubinette
2. Tanner Foust
3. Daijiro Yoshihara
4. Rhys Millen
5. Chris Forsberg
6. Michihiro Takatori
7. Ryan Tuerck
8. Darren McNamara
9. Conrad Grunewald
10. Robbie Nishida
11. Ryuji Miki
12. Vaughn Gittin Jr.
13. Stephan Verdier
14. Ken Gushi
15. Kyle Mohan
16. Kazu Hayashida
17. 2008 D1 New Zealand Champion
18. 2008 DMCC Champion (Canada)
19. Drift Australia 2008 Champion
20. Drift Australia 2008 Runner Up
21. 2008 EDC Champion (UK/Europe)
22. Tengku Djan (FD Singapore Podium)
23. Mad Mike Whiddett (FD Singapore Podium)
24. 2008 Pro Drift Champion (Europe/Ireland)
25. 2008 Pro Drift Runner Up (Europe/Ireland)
26. Fredric Asabo (Nordic Drift Championship/Norway)
27. Past D1GP Champion (Japan)
28. Past D1GP Champion (Japan)
29. Past D1GP Champion (Japan)
30. Past D1GP Champion (Japan)
31. Past D1GP Champion (Japan)
32. 2008 D1GP Champion
So there you have it.
I am interested to see which D1 champions will make it to the event. I'm guessing Kumakubo for sure, Kawabata, Imamura, (Miki will already be there). It would be great to see Kazama in action again as well as Taniguchi or even Ueo.
Time will tell and I can't wait to see what happens in November.