Are we ready for 2012 folks? Let’s get in the mood for some new racing action with a video recap of the first day’s events on the Dakar Rally. With VW no longer competing, it’s the Mini team who’ve now moved into the foreground, locking out all three podium positions.
The day’s running was blackened by the death of motorcyclist Jorge Boero, who fatally crashed out at the 55km point.
Day one positions:
Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Leonid Novitskiy Mini 32m12s
2. Krzysztof Holowczyc Mini + 5s
3. Stephane Peterhansel Mini + 9s
4. Giniel de Villiers Toyota + 15s
5. Robby Gordon Hummer + 49s
6. Carlos Sousa Great Wall + 52s
7. Christian Lavieille Dessoude + 1m00s
8. Bernhard van Brinke Mitsubishi + 1m20s
9. Orlando Terranova Toyota + 1m56s
10. Ricardo Leal dos Santos Mini + 2m13s