Pole position in the GT class may have been awarded to the #56 BMW and in the time span of six hours, anything can happen. But when the sun dipped below the horizon and the timer for six hours winded down to the finish, the #45 Flying Lizard Porsche driven by Joerg Bergmeister and co-driver Patrick Long, who started the race in 5th, battled their way up the ladder and took a surprising win for the top step on the podium.
Dirk Muller, in the #56 BMW, and his co-driver Joey Hand finished second.
Third became a rather sticky situation as the #62 Risi Competitzone Ferrari F458 crossed the finish line second, but was penalized for 90 seconds for getting into an avoidable accident with the Flying Lizard Porsche. That penalty moved the Ferrari to 6th place and bumped up the #1 ESM Racing / Tequila Patron Ferrari F458 to take that final step on the podium.
In the LMP1 class, #007, the James Bond numbered, classic Gulf liveried, Lola Aston Martin, took the overall win, with the #16 Mazda taking 2nd and the #20 Mazda taking 3rd.
Congratulations to all the winners!
Full ALMS Laguna Seca Race Results for All Classes:
1. #007 Stefan Mucke AMR Lola Coupe B09 60 Aston Martin
2. #16 Jay Cochran Lola B09 86/Mazda
3. #20 Steven Kane Lola B09/86 Mazda
1. #055 Luis Diaz HPD ARX 01g
1. #63 Elton Julian Oreca FLM09
2. #06 Gunnar Jeannette Oreca FLM09
3. #89 Kyle Marcelli Oreca FLM09
1. #45 Joerg Bergmeister 911 GT3 RSR
2. #56 Dirk Mueller BMW M3 GT
3. #01 Johannes van Overb Ferrari F458 Italia
1. #66 Spencer Pumpelly Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
2. #54 Jeroen Bleekemolen Porsche 911 GT3 Cup
3. #34 Damien Faulkner Porsche 911 GT3 Cup