Okay, the Need for Speed D-Mac '86 is back to its build bay in the shop which is getting more and more untidy as the weeks go on! Hopefully it should come together quickly and we can tidy up round here. You might notice the front tube extension has not been painted. This is because at the time the car was going for paint we did not have the intercooler and could not make the brackets to hold it in place and also the brackets for the bumper bar need to be made and we need all the aero on for that part of the build.
Bridgeported 13B goodness courtesy of Hayward Rotary in the UK. It has finally been bolted into its new home and not snagging on any part of the rusty old Corolla
It looks so much better with paint on it!
We have to do our best not to scratch it while installing all our interior bits. In the next update the interior should be completed all going to plan.
This is the last shot of the rear interior before the view gets obscured by our custom radiator, piping and roof vent.
The rear axle is now painted and located with our 4 link system. It's hard to beat black and white.
Our custom top link is now installed. This should allow us to fine tune our setup quickly on track, not like the original two upper links that are very awkward to access. You can see the BOSCH pump and bullet filter installed ready to be covered by the fuel cell.
The tunnel and bulkhead were just second to the steering in the time consumption stakes but now they are finished. I think they have turned out pretty good.
Our MCN/AVO rear coilovers are ready to transmit more power to the tarmac than any other AE86 drift car in history. We wanted to run standard and just off the shelf AE86 suspension rather than a custom trick suspension setup just so we can prove just how good our '86 suspension is.
Likewise at the front. We are using the MCN/AVO adjustable front inserts inside the original struts with weld on coilover conversion tubes.
This has been the most head wrecking part of the build, the custom steering. I hate and love this steering rack in equal measure. It took quite a large amount of time to get everything working the way we wanted it to, but if it all works out it should perform really well.
We made a custom steering column so we could throw away the over complicated Toyota one. A new gear lever has been made for the Supra transmission and we modified the 16 inch ASD vertical e-brake lever to just the right position for me.
Aerial view of currently the world's shortest '86!
Right so, that is it for now, time to get back to work. It should start to come together pretty quickly now. I cannot wait to here the first brap from this thing!